31.5.09

Time to think/Summary

These past couple of weeks have given me a chance to take a step back and think about what is really important in my life. I am working on being more service minded and reaching out to others despite the fact that my life isn't exactly easy. In all honesty, nobody's life is truly easy. It just wasn't meant to be that way. There are inevitably ups and downs, but because we have friends, family, and most importantly, God to depend on, we can make it through those times and come out stronger in the end. I want to be the type of friend, sister, daughter, etc. that can be trusted to be there when needed. I want to fulfill my role as a friend to the utmost of my capacity, putting the needs of others above my own when appropriate.

This task in and of itself is a daunting one. It means that I have to put away my selfishness and look to others as Christ would see them. It means to develop charity. I think that I am starting to understand faith and hope, but charity is sometimes an elusive concept to me. How can we really 1. love others like Christ loved them, 2. develop love FOR Christ, and 3. understand how much we are loved by Him? I am of the opinion that there isn't anyone you couldn't love once you've heard their story. Because our Heavenly Father knows all of our stories, better than we even do, He can love us perfectly because he knows us perfectly.


And as for the other stuff going on in my life--

Quick Summary: On Wednesday Cody had his show at Dew, which was pretty fun. Afterwards we went to IHOP. That reminds me, I want to throw another INOP party soon... Thursday we threw Vanessa a surprise birthday party up in the canyon somewhere, and Cody got hit in the head when a branch fell on him. Hannah and I took him to the ER to get the puncture wound glued up... it made for quite an adventurous night. He's completely fine now, no worries. On Friday I went and hiked the Y again with Alison, Ryan, and JilliAnne. They are putting down more dirt on the trail right now so it was soft and on the way down we (mostly JilliAnne and me) were slipping a lot. Afterwards I made dinner (Chicken Tikka Masala... YUMMMM) and then we went to a house party where Nam was DJing. Saturday I went to a hot springs, it was gorgeous. I wish I had taken my camera so I could put up some pictures. Next time...

My life is being filled with wonderful things. I have great friends, and despite disappointments and difficulties... things are really good: without the bad you can't know the good. Life is wonderful.

2 comments:

Ryan D said...

I love how you put this: "I am of the opinion that there isn't anyone you couldn't love once you've heard their story. Because our Heavenly Father knows all of our stories, better than we even do, He can love us perfectly because he knows us perfectly."

So awesome! And deep. I love it. This is totally a truth and I think it's why the Savior also has power to comfort us. He doesn't just know our our individual stories--He actually lived through them while atoning for us. Seems like we had the same theme today in Church (or at least I did--faith, hope, and charity)... Our speaker on charity pointed out that despite challenges, setbacks, and discouragement in life, it's always easier to have compassion and charity for others when we realize just how much we ourselves are loved. You are loved, Sara! Thanks for sharing these thoughts. :)

Alison Rae said...

I love you so much! <3 Thanks for being there for me, you are beautiful!